Keto Buffalo Shrimp
This post may contain affiliate links.
Enjoy delicious and spicy Keto Buffalo Shrimp with all the flavor of classic buffalo wings but with none of the carbs. This is low-carb, keto-friendly finger food that packs a punch of tangy, buttery heat that any huge fan of shrimp will love. Perfect as a low-carb snack at game day parties or pre-dinner light bites, whip up this tasty dish in a flash. No real cooking experience required!
I love Buffalo Shrimp! This is my keto version of this popular shrimp appetizer served at restaurants like Hooters. I hope this satisfies your craving for Buffalo Shrimp as it did mine! The breading involves a few steps, but they’re well worth it! Whey protein isolate requires oil for the correct results, so don’t try this recipe in the air fryer.
Why is shrimp so popular on a keto lifestyle?
Shrimp is an ideal choice for anyone following a low-carb, keto diet because it is a lean source of protein that is low in calories and carbs. It is also packed with essential vitamins and minerals, including iron, zinc, and vitamin B12, making it an excellent food choice for overall health.
Shrimp can be prepared in so many different ways with simple ingredients that you won’t get bored with your meals; from grilled shrimp tacos to this easy buffalo shrimp recipe, the possibilities are endless.
- Raw Shrimp – Peeled and deveined, shrimp is an excellent source of lean protein and essential minerals. Use any size shrimp, tail on or off.
- Coconut Flour – Coconut flour is a delicious and nutritious alternative to wheat flour when baking or frying.
- Egg – An egg provides moisture, structure, and protein, all important elements to keto buffalo shrimp.
- Heavy Whipping Cream – Heavy whipping cream provides a rich creaminess that balances the bolder flavors of the spices and sauces used in this recipe.
- Unflavored Whey Protein Isolate – this is the base for breading. The results are extra light and crispy. It’s not heavy breading, and that’s what you want for buffalo shrimp.
- Salt – Salt brings out all of the flavors in the dish by enhancing them naturally.
- Black Pepper – Nothing emphasizes flavor like freshly ground black pepper!
- Garlic Powder – Garlic powder adds a slight garlicky aroma to keto buffalo shrimp.
- Paprika – Paprika adds color as well as warmth to many dishes, including this one.
- Onion Powder – Onion powder adds depth to recipes without adding extra moisture, thanks to its dehydrated form.
- Oil for Frying – Frying is a great way to make crispy, crunchy dishes like keto buffalo shrimp. Avocado oil is a great option.
- Buffalo Sauce – Buffalo sauce provides tangy heat that gives traditional wings their classic zest. The spicy sauce packs a punch!
How to Make This Spicy Buffalo Shrimp Recipe
The breading involves a few steps but they’re well worth it!
Make sure the shrimp is dry. Use paper towels to remove any excess moisture.
Place the coconut flour in a shallow dish.
Whisk the egg and cream together in a small bowl.
Stir together the whey protein, salt, pepper, garlic powder, paprika and onion powder in a shallow dish.
Heat 1 inch of oil in a large skillet or dutch oven to 350 degrees.
Work in small batches, lightly dust the shrimp in coconut flour. Then dip the breaded shrimp in the egg mixture, allowing the excess to drip back into the bowl. Dip the shrimp in the whey protein mixture. Put them on a plate. Repeat the process until all the shrimp are coated.
Fry the shrimp a few at a time, placing them in a single layer, until until light golden brown. Depending on the size of your shrimp this will only take 2-3 minutes. Drain shrimp on a paper towel lined plate.
Gently toss the shrimp in your favorite spicy buffalo sauce and serve with celery sticks and a side of ranch dressing or blue cheese dressing.
This buffalo shrimp would be great on game day, along with Cheesy Baked Taco Dip!
Keto Buffalo Shrimp
- 1 pound raw shrimp peeled & deveined
- 2 tablespoons coconut flour
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon heavy whipping cream
- 1/2 cup unflavored whey protein isolate
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon onion powder
- oil for frying
- Buffalo Sauce
- Make sure the shrimp is dry. Use paper towels to remove any excess moisture.
- Place the coconut flour in a shallow dish.
- Whisk the egg and cream together in small bowl.
- Stir together the whey protein, salt, pepper, garlic powder, paprika and onion powder in a shallow dish.
- Heat 1 inch of oil in a large deep frying pan or dutch oven to 350 degrees.
- Work in small bathches, lightly dust the shrimp in coconut flour. Then dip them in the egg mixture, allow the excess to drip back into the bowl. Dip the shrimp in the whey protein mixture. Put them on a plate. Repeat process until all the shrimp are coated. Tip: When breading the shrimp use one hand for the wet ingredients and the other one for the dry ingredients. Keep a damp hand towel close by.
- Fry the shrimp a few at a time until until light golden brown. Depending on the size of your shrimp this will only take 2-3 minutes. Drain shrimp on a paper towel lined plate.
- Gently toss the shrimp in your favorite buffalo sauce and serve with celery sticks and ranch dressing.
Disclaimer: Nutritional information is included as a courtesy and is calculated to the best of my ability, using my preferred brands. I recommend calculation your own macros, as they can widely vary depending on the brands of ingredients you use.