Seasoned yellow squash roasted on a bed of grated parmesan cheese. The delicious result is a crispy bottom that will please even the pickiest eaters. Plus, it’s low-carb and keto friendly!
If you’re looking for a new and exciting way to enjoy your bountiful harvest of yellow squash, then you’re in for a treat! Crispy Parmesan Crusted Yellow Squash is a delicious and easy-to-make dish that will impress. I have been preparing parmesan squash and zucchini for many years, but this recipe stands out with its extra layer of parmesan on the bottom of the squash. I drew inspiration from the popular TikTok trend of Parmesan-crusted potatoes and applied the same technique to this squash dish. Of course, this recipe would also be wonderful made with zucchini.
Why you’ll love this recipe
- It’s easy and quick to make, requiring only a few ingredients and minimal preparation time.
- This recipe is versatile and can be served as a snack, appetizer, or side dish, making it perfect for any occasion.
- It’s a budget-friendly recipe that uses simple, affordable ingredients, making it a cost-effective meal option.
- Yellow squash is a low-carb vegetable that can be enjoyed by people living a variety of lifestyles, including keto, paleo, and gluten-free.
- This recipe is a great way to introduce yellow squash to picky eaters who may not enjoy eating vegetables. The crispy Parmesan crust adds a delicious flavor and texture that even those not fond of vegetables will enjoy.
Ingredients & Substitutions
Yellow Squash – You can use zucchini or a combination of both.
Avocado oil – Olive oil and butter are also great options.
Parmesan cheese – Freshly grated is recommended, but prepackaged Parmesan also works.
Garlic – Fresh garlic or jar of minced garlic
Seasonings – Salt, pepper, smoked paprika, dried parsley
How to make Roasted Parmesan Squash
Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Line a sheet pan with Parchment paper.
Toss the squash slices with the avocado oil and seasonings in a medium bowl until well coated.
Evenly Spread the parmesan cheese on the sheet pan. Place the squash slices on top of the parmesan cheese in a single layer—Sprinkly lightly with more parmesan and parsley.
Roast the squash in the oven for 20 minutes, until it’s golden brown around the edges and the cheese is crispy on the bottom. Enjoy!
- For better taste and texture, pick small to medium-sized yellow squash. They are more tender and have fewer seeds, making them easier to eat.
- Try to slice the squash into even, thin rounds for even cooking. This will ensure that each piece cooks at the same rate.
- Be sure to use a non-stick baking sheet or parchment paper to prevent the squash from sticking to the pan.
- Don’t overcrowd the baking sheet when cooking the squash. Place the squash on the baking sheet in a single layer to ensure they cook evenly.
- You can try different spices and seasonings to create a unique flavor for your crust.
- Crispy parmesan squash is delicious with various dipping sauces, such as marinara sauce, ranch dressing, or garlic aioli.
- Serve the squash alongside your favorite grilled or roasted meat for a complete meal. We love squash dishes at summer barbeques. It pairs well with grilled steaks, pork chops, chicken breasts and fish.
While you can store and reheat this dish, it’s best enjoyed freshly made on the day it’s prepared. Reheating may cause the squash to lose some crispy texture and become a bit soggy, resulting in a less satisfying eating experience.
Frequently Asked Questions
Can I use a different type of cheese for the crust?
Yes, you can experiment with different types of cheese for the crust, such as cheddar or mozzarella.
Is yellow squash keto-friendly?
Yellow squash can be a delicious and low-carb addition to your ketogenic diet, as a medium-sized yellow squash contains only about 7 grams of total carbs.
Crispy Parmesan Crusted Yellow Squash
You can slice the squash slices ahead of time and refrigerate them until you’re ready to cook them. However, it’s recommended to wait to cook the squash. It’s best enjoyed fresh.
If you love down-home southern cooking, Check out my Southern Keto cookbooks! I’ve written 3 cookbooks, and each book has over 100 recipes in it. As always, they use easy-to-find ingredients.
More delicious low-carb recipes:
Crispy Parmesan Crusted Yellow Squash
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Line a sheet pan with parchment paper.
- In a medium bowl, toss the squash slices with the oil, garlic, pepper, smoked paprika and salt until completely coated.
- Spread the parmesan cheese evenly on the sheet pan. Place the squash slices on top of the parmesan cheese in an even layer—sprinkle lightly with more parmesan and parsley.
- Roast in the oven for 20 minutes until the squash is golden brown around the edges and the cheese is crispy on the bottoms.
Disclaimer: Nutritional information is included as a courtesy and is calculated to the best of my ability, using my preferred brands. I recommend calculation your own macros, as they can widely vary depending on the brands of ingredients you use.
Author: Natasha Newton (Natasha's Southern Flavor)
Natasha is the founder of Natasha’s Southern Flavor. She has a passion for sharing delicious family friendly low-carb recipes that are easy to make and use readily accessible ingredients. Natasha has published three bestselling cookbooks. Her books and recipes have been featured by CNET, Delish, Mindbodygreen, Parade and Women’s Health. She enjoys traveling and spending time with her husband, two adult children, and three furbabies.
Read more about Natasha here.